Printing at home or at the office:
I recommend using smooth cardstock or heavyweight photo paper for your prints - glossy, semi-gloss, satin or matte selections are matters of personal preference, but I tend to prefer matte paper for most of my prints, as it is less likely to contribute to glare and reflection when framed.
When printing your files, be sure your printer's settings are set to print at "original size" or 100% to ensure proper sizing. If there's a "quality" setting, select the highest available. In the paper selection option, select the appropriate option for your selected paper.
Color management: Please be sure your printer's color management/color correction is disabled before printing, or you may end up with a color cast especially in white areas of your print. Here are some guidelines:
- Epson: Set Color Management to “None”, “Off” or “No Color Management”. Depending on the driver and version, you may need to select "ICM" before seeing any of these choices. Also make sure that the "print preview" option is NOT checked, or you may end up with a magenta cast to your print.
- Canon: the naming of the control may not always be consistent, but it will generally be “Off” or “None”
- HP: Set color management to “Application Managed Color”. Depending on the driver and version, you may need to select ICM before seeing this choice.
Printing at local print shops:
You may also take your files to any local print services for professional printing. This can be done in person via a USB drive, through email, or through the service's online upload utility (if applicable). In person, you can discuss paper options, print sizes, etc., and receive guidance from staff.
In store printing service suggestions:
- In the U.S.: Staples, FedEx Kinko's, Walgreen's, Walmart, Target, Costco
- In Canada: Staples, FedEx Kinko's
- In the U.K.: Boots
- In Australia: Officeworks
PRINTING AT STAPLES STORES (U.S. and Canada customers):
I've been really pleased with the quality of Staples prints, where you can get very inexpensive same day prints if ordering before 2 PM (with a small rush fee).
For same-day/in-store 4x6", 5x7", 8x10" or 8.5x11" prints on matte paper:
For same-day/in-store 11x14", 16x20" and 20x30" on semi-gloss photo paper:
For larger same-day/in-store prints - printed on 12x18", 18x24" or 24x36" matte paper (you can trim to your desired size afterward):
To print larger sizes:
PRINTING AT FEDEX KINKO'S STORES (U.S. and Canada customers):
FedEx Kinko's is another great option for fast, same-day prints.
To print 8x10" or 8.5x11" files at FedEx Kinko's:
To print 11x14" files:
To print larger sizes (16x20" and above):
Printing at Walgreens (U.S. customers):
Walgreens is my favorite location for same-day pickup of prints/posters in 11x14, 12x18, 16x20, 20x30 and 24x36 sizes.
If you're a non-U.S. customer located in Canada, UK, Australia or New Zealand and interested in reviewing your local print options, please get in touch - I'd love to talk about working with you to help get this information to my customers.